"Erica brings a sharp eye and a keen ability to keep track of character, plot, and pacing in a manuscript. She found so many small problems with my manuscript that were invisible to me, and made my novel polished and publication-ready."
-- Katherine Sparrow, Nebula-nominated author of The Fay Morgan Chronicles
"Erica's edits were worth every penny, and then some. She pulls no punches and has an excellent eye for narrative flow. I would definitely hire her again."
-- Nancy Fulda, Hugo-nominated author of "Movement"
Need an editor to help you fix up your novel or other creative project? Whether you plan to self-publish or submit your manuscript to an agent, you need an editor. That's where I come in. I am a short story writer and editor specializing in science fiction/fantasy writing (though I am open to any genre, including erotica). Several of my short stories have been given honorable mentions in Year's Best collections and I am contemporary in the field. I am an active member of SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America).
Some of the help that a professional editor can give you includes:
- Highlighting typos/grammar problems (copy editing)
- Checking for continuity errors (content editing)
- Pointing out repeated words or areas of poor flow
- Making general comments about pacing, character motivation, etc.
My rates are as follows:
- $1.50 per double-spaced standard manuscript page for comprehensive edit (both copy and content editing)
- For a first-time client with a manuscript over fifty pages, I will edit the first chapter (up to ten pages) free
These rates are under what most editors charge for similar services. My credentials include:
- Over a dozen short story credits in professional, prestigious speculative fiction magazines (see the "Stuff I've Written" tab)
- Master of Arts degree in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University
- Critique group experience in several different writers' groups. Many of the writers I've worked with in these groups have gone on to have their stories or novels published by top markets.
- Moderate scientific knowledge and ability to fact-check your manuscript for scientific errors
I live in Portland, Oregon, but all editing work can be done over the Internet. I prefer working in Microsoft Word with the "track changes" feature, but will edit a paper manuscript if absolutely required. In addition to line edits, I will also write a one-to-three page "general comments" document where I will give you overall feedback on your piece and its strengths and weaknesses. I ask for half the fee on signing (contract will be required), and half on completion. I estimate a turn-around time of no more than two weeks on a standard novel-length project, much less on a short story or other short project.
After all the work you've put into your creative project, don't let readers or agents stumble on an error-filled manuscript. Let your novel shine! Contact me today at satifka at gmail dot com.
P.S. While my specialty is fiction, I can edit non-fiction too! Just shoot me an email describing your project and we can determine whether or not I'll be a good fit.